Roof damage simply can’t be helped. Roofs are constantly exposed to the elements which of course means that there is no way to completely stop deterioration due to wear and passage of time. There are some ways to delay this deterioration, especially with the help of roof services, but truly there is no way to stop it from naturally occurring.
Insurance Claims For Roof Damage
Sometimes there are accidents and extreme weather that can cause extensive damage to your house top that requires roof repair. When such damage is so bad, you may end up needing a full roof replacement.
This is where home insurance comes in. As long as you are up to date with your premiums, you can file a claim for roof damage with your insurance carrier to help in the costs of your roof repair or your roof replacement. Here are the top 5 steps you can take to negotiate your roof damage insurance claims!
- Understand Your Policy - Before you file a claim, you must find your homeowner’s insurance policy and read it. Yes, all of it – even the fine print! If you are having trouble understanding it, call your insurance agent to set up a meeting so they can help you understand your policy better. It might be a good idea to write down your questions ahead of time so you can ask your agent when you meet.
- Document Everything - An important part of filing an insurance claim to help you with your roof repair or roof replacement is to document everything. Yes, everything. It’s a good idea to take photos of your property and the damage it sustained, both close and far away. It may even be a good idea to take videos as well, describing the damage as you record. If you meet with roof services to have them inspect and assess the damage and costs involved, take note of everything, every person you talk to, which you will be thankful for later.
- Be Ready For Inspection - It’s normal for an insurance claims adjuster to come inspect the property when you have filed a claim. Be ready with all your documentation, including those photos and videos you took of your property after the damage occurred. Do not delay meeting your insurance adjuster, as meeting with them quickly increases you getting paid sooner.
- Get An Estimate - After dealing with your insurance company, you will want to look for and hire roof services to fix the damage. Make sure that you are dealing with a reputable company to avoid further problems down the road.
- Remember to Negotiate - It is possible to negotiate the costs of your repair with your roofing contractors, even after they give you an estimate. It’s important to be reasonable of course. You can even attempt to negotiate with your insurance company about the payout.
Regardless of whether you need a roof repair or a roof replacement, make sure that you do your due diligence. This makes it easier for you to file your claim and get paid sooner, so that you can have roof services come fix your roof as soon as possible. Just remember the 5 steps above and filing a claim should be a breeze!